COLD WEATHER STARTING

1997 Toyota Corolla • 4 cylinder FWD Automatic • 113,000 miles

My Mother has a 1997 Toyota Corolla. When it's cold weather it will not start. It tries, but then it seems to flood and then will not start. After the weather starts to warm then it starts fine every time. Also once it starts and warms up it starts perfect every time. Please advise, thanks. RJ
RJ

RJ: First, if you haven't had a tune up for some time, you may want to consider that. Worn plugs or a weak spark can cause problems in the cold when the fuel mixture is richer. It can't burn all the gas. Also, there is a temp sensor that tells the computer how cold it is outside and the coolant temp. Based on that information, the computer determines how rich or lean to make the fuel that enters the engine. If the sensor tells the computer it's -50 degrees F, the mixture will be too rich. Have that checked too.