I HAVE A LOUD RATTLING NOISE FROM ENGINE BAY

1997 Toyota Carina • 170,000 miles

Last night, as I was restarting my 1997 Toyota Carina E 2.0 GLI Gasoline engine, after it had been parked for approximately 4 hours (still kind of warm), I heard a loud rattling noise that is proportional to RPMs coming from the engine bay. On the dashboard, both the orange "low oil (pressure?)" And the red "battery" lights are on, oddly, not "fixed", but rapidly blinking (when engine is running). When not running, all seems normal (on the dash).

The car had been making "a new noise" for the past 1000 miles or so: squeaking from the engine at idle to low (1500 revs), which would disappear as the engine turned faster.

I wonder if it is something to do with some belt (losing adherence and finally starting to "give way" and banging about with some parts of it breaking off.) Or if there is the chance that something more worrying may have happened. It was night and I had no chance of examining the engine bay.

Any input is appreciated.

Best

Vittorio
Nightfly

Check the belt tension of the alternator and also have it checked out-start here