WATER PUMP REPLACEMENT

1997 Toyota Camry • 2.2L 4 cylinder FWD Automatic • 220,000 miles

Hi, I was replacing waterpump on this 97 camry 4 cylinder automatic, Everyghing was going great, I marked my timing belt at the camshaft side and crankshaft side aswell, Replaced my waterpump and re-installed timing chain to marks without any shafts moving on me. Heres where things go wrong, I forgot to tighten the tensioner pully I only put the spring on, so when I cranked the car on it turned on but started jumping teeth and started to sputter so I shut it off and re-installed timing chain to factory settings. Now the car has no spark and wont turn on, I also broke one tooth on the cranckshaft timing pully while I was rotating it for TDC.

Please I need some help I must have re-installed that belt like ten times now.

Thanks in advance
Fujizero

Let do some checking on that.

Are you sure when the belt jumped you didnt break the crankshaft position sensor? I have seen belts break and damage them.

Not sure if the crankshaft position sensor broke, is their a way to test it with a voltmeter unit, also I read on toyota manual that their is a exhaust and compression TDC, im going to remove valve cover and check my valves, cause it says compression TDC makes valve lifter #1 loose and valve lifter #4 tight, is that correct? Also says if valve lifters dont end up in that way to turn crankshaft another 360 degrees.
Let me know what you think and thank you for quick reply : ) and help

Fujizero
Lets do this line it up and snap some pics of it and post it so I can see it.I just go by the timing marks.

Hello its been a while, im ready to finish this camry, you asked me if my crank position sensor might have broken with my timing belt, well the timing belt never broke, so I assume it couldnt brake crank position sensor, but since the car got turned on and was running for like 10 seconds while the timing belt was jumping teeth could that have caused to bend some valves? If yes how can I diagnose bent valves

Ive successfully replaced a timing belt on a 1996 4cyl camry prior to this one, I know where the timing marks go : )

Thank you for the help so far really appreciate it

Fujizero
The tooth that you broke on the crankshaft is that the one that the crankshaft sensor uses for spark signal?To tell if you have bent valves do a compression test.

Success : D
I replaced the crankshaft pully drive with one that didnt have a broken tooth for the crank position sensor and it started.
Yes it was the broken tooth that tells crank position sensor,

Thank you very much for all the help and support : )

Fujizero
Glad to hear it was the broken tooth and your back on the road your welcome.