OVERHEAT

1997 Subaru Legacy • 4 cylinder 4WD Manual • 165,417 miles

97 subaru legacy overheat issue, has had thermostat, waterpump, radiator, and headgaskets! Is the motor itself bad?
Jgeear

You have replaced almost all components related to the cooling system for the engine. The motor itself does not overheat unless something is wrong.

When does the overheating occurs?
Are the cooling fans working correctly?
After the repairs, do you have coolant losses issues?

Yes the fans are working, and yes after the overheat its low due to (i presume) exploding out the rad. Cap. (Also new)

Jgeear
Oh, it happens with around town driving

Jgeear
If the pressure is hig causing coolant to be pushed out to the recovery tank, the head gasket job was not done correctly and it could also be due to warpage of engine block surface and requires refacing or replacement.

Was the cylinder head tested for flatness or refaced?
Was it pressure tested for leaks?

I found a faulty thermostat, thanks for getting me to double check stuff. Some aftermarket components are just plain junk!

Jgeear
Not all new parts are good. Even OEM parts are known to fail and that is always the worst because if you do not backtrack and review all the component, you are going to waste a lot of time and money.

Glad to know you have fixed the problem.

Have a nice day.

Always boil test your thermostat by outting it in a boiling pot of water too make sure the thermostat opens up and is working correctly.

Bocard80