CANNOT LOCATE ALTERNATOR TENSIONER AND LOCK NUTS

1997 Saturn SL2 • 190,000 miles

I need a diagram or very precise details of where the alternator tensioner and lock nuts are located. I am tryin to change my alternator but do not know parts of this car.
Jacob minor

Alternator tenisor?Do you mean belt tenisor?Also lock nuts what do you mean there?The bolts that hold the alternator in?

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
CAUTION: When battery is disconnected, vehicle computer and memory systems may lose memory data. Driveability problems may exist until computer systems have completed a relearn cycle. See COMPUTER RELEARN PROCEDURES article in the GENERAL INFORMATION section before disconnecting battery.

NOTE: If necessary, remove power steering pump to access generator retaining bolts.

REMOVAL
Disconnect negative battery cable. Using a box-end wrench, relieve spring tension from accessory drive belt tensioner. Remove accessory belt. Raise and support vehicle. Remove right front wheel. Remove right front wheelwell splash shield.
Remove generator splash shield. Disconnect field wires. Disconnect fusible link wire with Generator Output Stud Wrench (SA9401C) to hold generator output (B+) stud from rotating.
NOTE: If stud is not held and stud rotates, plastic insulator will crack and/or break, causing generator failure.

Remove lower and upper generator mounting bolts. Remove generator through wheelwell opening behind strut.

What liter engine?

There all the same 1.9L on every S model saturn the only difference is single cam or twin cam.I dont agree with the remove the power steering pump to access the top bolt on the alternator.I have never had to do that and I have changed a ton of those alternators. Also leave the bottom bolt in and tap on the back of the alternator by the bottom bolt. Before you try to remove the alternator. If you dont that slip bushing will make it very hard to remove the alternator. Also leave the bottom bolt loose while starting the top bolt by hand. Then tightend the top bolt and bottom bolt. Also when removing the old alternator and putting the new one in you can pass it between the body of the car and the tie rod.

Also if the upper engine mount is bad its going to make it hard to remove the top bolt and change the alternator.

Also make sure you test your fuseable link going to the back of your alternator.