SHUT OFF PROBLEM

1997 Saturn SC2 • 4 cylinder 2WD Manual • 120 miles

I have a 1997 Saturn SC2/1.9liter/4 speed transmission that runs great while in or out of gear. When I turn on the air conditioning with the car out of gear the air conditioning runs fine as does the engine. As soon as I push in the clutch and put the car in gear the engine shuts off. No sputter, no hesitation, just total shut down! Any answers? Please help!
Niteworkr

Is the clutch pushed all the way to the floor when you put it in gear and is the pedal still all the way to the floor when it die's?If so the clutch isn't fully releasing and causing the engine to die.

The clutch is pushed all the way to floor. It only dies when air conditioner is on, so I would imagine it has nothing to do with clutch. If air conditioner is off, car runs and shifts perfectly. It has to do with a switch or something. The car shuts down totally as if something cuts it off. No hesitation or shuddering as if there is an additional load put on it. Just cut off.

Niteworkr
So the clutch pedal isn't all the way to the floor when it die's?You have released the clutch while it's in gear with the a/c on?That's when it's dieing?

No. Car is running. Air conditioner is OFF. I press clutch down and put in gear, car stays running. I can drive it with no problem.

Problem: Car is running. Air conditioner is ON. I press clutch down, hold it down and put car in gear. Car shuts off.

Niteworkr
If the a/c work's good with the car in neutral I would say it's not the a/c. Your only having problem's with the a/c on with the clutch pushed in?Then the only thing that make's sense is the clutch isn't fully releasing when you have the clutch pushed all the way to the floor and when you add the the load of the a/c it stall's the engine.

I don't think it would be considered a load stall. As soon as I move the shifter in gear the engine shuts off. The clutch is still pressed. Could it possibly be electrical?

Niteworkr
How could it be electrical if the a/c work's normal in neutral?Also when putting it in gear there are no electrical switches being activated. Or electrical load from doing that.

Just because the clutch is pushed in doesn't mean it's fully releasing.

I see your point. I will take that route and let you know. Thanks.

Niteworkr
Is the clutch pedal hard going all the way down or does it drop some before it get's hard?