PONTIAC TRANSPORT THERMOSTAT PROBLEM

1997 Pontiac Transport • 189,000 miles

My engine temperature is fluctuating into the red then back down again! I added fluid and started the motor, the temperature then went into the red again then started fluctuating again, then to low coolant level light came on again. I want add more fluid but I have to wait for it to cool again. My thoughts are either I have a stuck thermostat, an airlock, or a blown head gasket, but no real signs of that in the oil or exhaust, yet that is? I wanted to have a carbon monoxide test today but all the mechanics in town were busy as heck! Any input would help please! I hope it's just an air lock and I just have to wait for it to cool and add more fluid since the low level light came back on, not sure about it though so I thought that I would look online for more input. Thanks, Kevin PS the radiator hose felt like it had good pressure when it got hot and the fans came on! I wish that the damn thermostat wasn't buried by the Throttle body so that I could replace it easier!

I would suggest that you have the system pressure tested to check for leaks, as long as you have to keep adding you will have air. So I would first do the pressure test and if no leaks are found I would then do the combustion test or a leak down test. To check for head gasket or block issues

Homer1967
Okay will do! I'm hoping it just needs more water but it's probably the ladder being a leak or thermostat being stuck. I will do further troubleshooting and testing tomorrow and then try to follow up here, Thanks for your time and considerations, let me know if you think of anything else please! Kevin

Kevinkilgore
You are welcome sir, please let me know how it goes. Thank you for choosing 2carpros

Homer1967
How do I do a "Leak down" test?

Kevinkilgore
It requires a leakdown tester and an air compressor and the ability to know what the readings mean. You have to remove all the plugs and get each cylinder on top dead center. You really should take it to a shop to have it done. It would cost more to purchase a good tester than it would to pay a shop to do it

Homer1967