WONT START CHANGED COIL PACKS

1997 Pontiac Grand Am • 207,000 miles

Its a 1997 pontiac grand am gt 2.4. Car ran like it was running on 2 cylinders and threw a p0300 code but didnt throw a specific cylinder code. I changed coils and plugs and now the car just cranks and is shooting smoke out of the throttle body. Smells like unburned fuel (hope that's all it is) I heard a rumor that new coils with an old timing chain the timing can sometimes jump. Ive tried putting the old coils back and I checked all the fuses. And I kno it could be crank sensor but im unsure as to whether or not that would keep it from running
Monkeywrench92

Have a pro check this as misfire codes are extremely hard to diagnose even for a pro. It can be anything form a sensor to athe ignition module. Or injectors, plugs etc.

When I crank the motor I get gas/smoke out the throttle body. I checked voltage/resistance/frequency at the icm wiring harness and I couldnt get voltage or resistance from the two wires for the crank sensor, changed it and it was cracked and in horrible condition. If you could include instructions on how to check the coil side of the icm's specs like what voltage I should be getting I still need to make sure the coils are getting 10 ohms. Also I cant tell from where but its possible I have a wire shorting out because I hear a pop n foul smelling smoke? I know its a long shot but with information giving should narrow down

Monkeywrench92
Tek the module out and have an auto parts check that they can do it for you.

Ok so compression test. 0, 0, 0, 85 how do 3 cylinders not have compression? Any clue what this means?

Monkeywrench92
Ya tear the head off and see if you have bent valves and whether or not your timng chain has broken or slipped. It ay be a piston problem as well