WEAK

1997 Nissan Truck

Hi I got a 1997 nissan datsun pickup it will start but its very weak, theres a hole on the throttle body if I cover it dies, it sound like theres too much air going out of it or in to it, it sounds loud I put the scanner on it and it came up with p0100, p0115, p0400, p0505, p0110. There were 7 codes but 2 were repeated
FixMAcar

The hole that you mentioned; where is it located on the throttle body? Upload a picture if possible.

The P0100 = Mass Air Flow Sensor
P0115 = Electronic Coolant Temperature Sensor
P0400 = EGR function
P0505 = Idle Air Control (IAC-AAC) Valve
P0110 = Idle Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor

Check your air snorkle to be sure there is not a hole in it or anything disconnected.
Please get back with me on that.

Freemba
Its on top of the throttle body

FixMAcar
The small one, but when I also cover the other big one, it will sound weaker

FixMAcar
And if I put the original filter on there will idle down to almost wanting to die. Please help me out freemba

FixMAcar
The small hole on the throttle body supplies air to the Mass Air Flow Sensor.
Is your air filter dirty or is the air cleaner restricted somehow?

The p0100 indicates a bad air flow meter: The p0110 The IAT (Idle Air Temperature) sensor connector is broken, disconnected or the IAT is bad for the P0110 code, a common problem. Check this before replacing the mass air flow sensor.
For the P0100 code, verify B+ on the green/red (G/R) wire for the MAF sensor. Verify ground on the white (W) wire. Check the output voltage signal on the black (B) wire. Should read less than 1.0 volt key on engine off and should read 1.3 to 1.7 volts at warm idle. Check the MAF sensor grams/second with the scanner (spec for the 2WD model is 1.8 - 6.5 grams/second at idle and 7.7 - 15.0 grams/second at 2500 rpm - no load). If there is no MAF sensor output voltage, verify the Black output signal wire is not grounded in the harness. Also verify the throttle position (TP) sensor signal on the scanner (should read 0% absolute throttle position at closed throtte and approximately 84% at wide open throttle) as necessary, as a rationally incorrect voltage signal from the MAF sensor compared with the calculated value by camshaft position sensor and TP sensor signal can also set the P0100 code.

Freemba
The air filter is clean if I put another similar air filter but smaller it would run fine earlier in the year.I checked the voltage on the MAF sensor and the Black and White read nothing but the Green/Red read 12.0 volts

FixMAcar
The engine I have is 2.4 4x4 truck if that helps

FixMAcar
The white wire is the ground wire. Connect one lead of the voltmeter to the green/red wire end and the other to the black wire and you should get 12v with the ignition switch on. If the black wire does not give less than 1v with the key on and engine off or 1.3 to 1.7 volts at warm idle; check for a broken or disconnection somewhere in that wire.
If all is well, check for less than 1v at the computer/ECU termiinal/pin where the black wire connects to it.
If you hvae no volage at the computer, suspect a faulty computer/ECU

Freemba
But how come that when I put the original filter on the truck chokes and dies. Its been like that since I got it about 2 years ago

FixMAcar
Ok. I know that you've already installed a clean filter [so I will not ask that questions}. However, some factory filter housings had a secondary fitler built in, it is usually round (a little smaller diameter than the regular air filter) and has a metal screen, plus other filter material in it. If your truck has this, it could be clogged causing the choking problem you have.

If this is not the case, look into the snorkle of the air cleaner housing to see it the little door inside of it is obstructing airflow into the housing.

Finally, when the housing is installed, before you put the top on it, look to see if it obstructs the small hole in the from of the throttle body {the one you showed me on the picture}. Let me know how it goes. Thanks

Freemba
Page 1 of 2