IDLING UP/DOWN

1997 Nissan Truck • 20,000 miles

1997 nissan pickup xe 2.4 l 4x4, idling up/down. Replaced distributor button/cap plugs and wires, new MAF, new vacum lines. And still having the problem, took to mechanic and they could not figure it out either. Seen in other posts that it can range from TPS sensor, manifold gasket, etc.I'm stuck at this point and need help. Thanks
Brian Giles

First eliminate all vacuum or air leaks in the system. You may have a bad IAC ( idle air control) but try cleaning the throttle body first. Remove the intake snorkel, have someone hold the throttle wide open for you and scrub the back side of the throttle plate and surrounding bore with an old tooth brush and some carb cleaner. Be sure to spray some into the small holes next to the throttle plate. That should help stabilize the idle. If it still has a problem, replace the IAC.

Wrenchtech
IAC was recently, replaced within the past year. And I have cleaned the throttle body by spraying it, have not scrubbed it, but it appears to be clean when u look into it. It looks that I may have to replace the IAC again. : (

Brian Giles
Scrub the back side of the throttle plate and look for vacuum leaks. Also make sure it is not low on coolant.

Wrenchtech
Ok, sounds good. Vacuum should not be the problem replaced all the hoses the other day, we will see what we have, after doing that. Thanks for the info.

Brian Giles