WHY WOULD AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SKIP FIRST GEAR AND GO STRAIGHT INTO SECOND?

1997 Nissan Sentra

I am considering buying a 97 or 98 Nissan Sentra with an automatic transmission from a family memeber, but he is telling me that when driving the car, it seems to skip first gear altogether and go straight into second gear. Is there a solution to this problem other than buying a new or rebuilt transmission?
Jenellepere

Sounds like there is a issue with first gear causing it skip first gear. Are there any codes?It could be an easy fix or a expensive fix depending on whats wrong. But I need more info.

What do you mean by "codes"? I'm pretty dumb when it comes to car lingo. If I took it to an auto parts store, and had them run a diagnostic, would that give me a code to go by?

Jenellepere
If they are able to scan the car for codes yes and if you get them make sure you right down the exact code numbers not code descriptions. Some states cant scan for codes at auto parts stores. Let me know what you find.