97 , WHILE WAITING TO CHANGE STREETLIGHTS, THE IDLE GOES DOWN BELOW 500 RPM AND FEELS LIKE IT WILL DIE OUT. THEN IDLE GOES UP TO 1000 AGAIN.

1997 Nissan Cefiro • 60,000 miles

Hi, my 97 cefiro has this problem. When I am ex. Waiting for street lights to change or waiting at toll boths etc, suddenly the idle drops below 1000 rpm then a few seconds later below 500 rpm then at that point, it feels like my car will die out. I get scared it would die out so I gas it up a little and move a few inches so it would not die. This happens anytime of the day whether or or not car was parked a short or longtime. It happens every now and then.I have not checked it in at nissan. I was hoping for some help with you guys.
Vesnayaptinchay

Have it scanned for codes. This can be done for free at most parts stores and many shops. Also check it for vacuum leaks.

Rivermikerat
Ok thanks very much. I will bing it to shop this friday. We will check for leaks as well. I will post back for updates. Thanks again.

Vesnayaptinchay
My pleasure.

Rivermikerat
Hi. I took the car to the shop, not nissan but speedyfix in manila. They checked for vacuum leaks but found none. What they saw were I think 2 sockets in the spark plug area that were cracked and they cleaned the maf, throttle body, and iacv.
30 mins. Or 15kms away from the shop, the problem came out again. We ended up in a surplus shop that fixed the broken sockets and 2 mechanics checked out the maf, it was broken after all and when we put in a new maf, perfect idle. So far so good been using it and no probs with the idle.
Thanks.

Vesnayaptinchay
Our pleasure. Tell your friends about us.

Rivermikerat
What is " the maf, throttle body, and iacv. " I have the same problem with my 97 cefiro and the shop said its the electronic airflow controller. Anybody know where I can buy a replacement part. The original part is more than 25K

Joefer59
Hi. Are you from manila? There is a second hand maf at evangelista st. In pasay. It seems feasible but then you will need a brand new one after a year, enough time to save. The cefiro 97 is an excellent car. Just some regular wear and tear and mostly, once all sensors are changed on a well-maintained car, you are good to go for a very long time. I did research about the parts you mentioned a few months ago but I think the experts at 2carpros are the excellent people to explain the function to you, I might make you confused: )

Vesnayaptinchay
The MAF is the mass air flow sensor. The computer uses input from this sensor to help determine how much fuel the injectors should inject.
The throttle body is the main air valve controlling the flow of air into the engine for combustion. It's how engine speed is regulated.
IACV is the air air control valve. This valve controls how fast the engine returns to idle when the accelerator pedal is released.

Rivermikerat