HOW DO WE TURN OFF THE SRS LIGHT

1997 Mitsubishi Challenger • 130,000 miles

Carried out diagnosis of system, found no faults, no codes. Replaced module; srs light still on, no codes. We are a Holden dealership in Australia using Tech 2 scanner and Hanatech scanner.
Dermot

There has to be a fault in the system. Is the horn working?

The horn is working. Is there a way to turn off the light and we can then see if it comes back on confirming a fault present or if it stays off confirming it was some glitch. With the Colorado (We're a Holden dealer so we work on plenty of these) we have found irregularities can set a warning light with no codes and once reset it stays off.

Dermot
The only thing you can try is to reset it with a scanner. There is no other way.

Thanks for your efforts and especially your quick response. Would you like us to feed back to you the final outcome once we have resolved this and if so, how do we do that?

Dermot
Yes, I would like to know what you find. And I wish I could have been more help. I am going to pass this on to another tech to see if he can add anything additional to help.

Let me know what you find.

Try disabling the system and see what happens

To disable system, turn ignition switch to LOCK position. Disconnect negative battery cable. Shield cable end. Wait at least 60 seconds before servicing. To activate system, reconnect negative battery cable.

If it continues rescanned PCM for code/s

G'day guys. Taken us a few days to get back to this one (plus it was a long weekend with Monday a holiday). Followed your disabling instructions. Unfortunately, light is still on and still no codes. Got to ask what you guys would do next because we are asking, to where from here?

Dermot
My last resort is reflash the computer and see what happens

Our Hanatech scanner won't allow us to reflash the computer. We disconnected the front impact sensors and still no codes. Does this lack of codes even after disconnection and forcing an open circuit, suggest anything to you, remembering we have already replaced the module?

Dermot
G'day Guys. OK. We are reluctantly going to hand this vehicle over to a Mitsubishi dealer. We have downloaded all the latest diagnostic software from Hanatech for our scanner and still it can't pull the codes. We seem to have no choice but send it to Mitsubishi (something we might have done a lot sooner except it is a few hundred kilometres away from us as we are in outback NSW).

Just want to thank you guys for your efforts. Doesn't help when the people you are trying to help don't have diagnostic equipment able to extract codes. We paid very good money for our scanners and it is a bit disappointing to find it can't read something as common as a Mitsubishi; although in fairness, it will read most Mitsubishi, just not this Challenger. Turned out to be a real challenger. One we failed.

Cheers guys

p.S. Not sure if we will get any feedback from Mitsubishi through the customer but if we do, we will let you know what the problem turned out to be.

Take it easy

Dermot