HIGH RPM AFTER STARTING THE CAR

1997 Mazda 323 • 250,000 miles

I have an automatic, 1997 Mazda 323. It would start fine however, the rpm would go up to 2500 and will stay there for a while. When I shift the gear to Reverse or Drive Mode, rpm would go down to normal. However, when I shift it back to Neutral or Park mode, the rpm would again go up to 2500. It will stay on that state for several minutes but once I drive it off and the engine warms up, it gradually lowers the RPM to about? 750 RPM. It's quite alarming since I think this would make the car use up more fuel. Hope you could help. Thanks in advance.

I had the alternator, ignition coil and cerbo kit checked, and according to the mechanic, there's nothing wrong with them. Also, the ignition and cerbo were cleaned.

Please help. Thanks
Charmander

Did they scan for codes and check for vacuum leaks?

Mhpautos
Not yet. May I asked how do you scan for codes?

Charmander
You require a scanner that plugs into the OBD11 access port, all mechanics can do this and some larger parts retailers will do this as a free service I understand.

Mhpautos
If you're located in the US within the 48th States-Go to Autozone or Advance Auto and have it scanned there-you'll also know where to hook-up your scantool to the OBD2 DLC in the future