WHAT'S CAUSING THAT TO HAPPEN

1997 Jeep Cherokee • 172,000 miles

I've a 1997 jeep cherokee grand lardo the information center flashing coolant sensor bad a mechanicsupposed to had changed sensor I even changed oil to a heavier because of high mileage but but coolant sensor light it's still flashing what is causing that?
James waring

That means the circuit has a problem, not necessarily the sensor. There's two; one for the Engine Computer and one for the gauge on the dash. If the dash gauge is reading incorrectly, check the single-wire sensor. You need a scanner to display the live data the Engine Computer is seeing to tell if the two-wire sensor has a problem. A connector could be unplugged, a terminal in the connector could be spread or corroded, or a wire could be cut or corroded apart.

Thank you caradiodo but it's running hot it goes from zero to two sixty in seconds and it went to two sixty five so could the false reading cause it too do that

James waring
Thanks for reply but what has caused it too go from 0_265 in seconds I had sensor changed and oil a heavier weight

James waring
Ok but what caused it too over heat from zero too 265 after jeep been I even went to a heavier oil ad been parked for 9 hrs the gauge went up quickly even faster when I turned on the Ac information center reading coolant sensor bad I had it changed at less it was suppose to have been I even went too a heavier oil

James waring
So if I understand right you're talking about the dash gauge reading too high indicating the engine is overheating, but no engine can get that hot so quickly. The place to start is by connecting a scanner that can display live data to see what the actual temperature is according to the Engine Computer. If it's high, diagnose the fan and cooling system. I suspect it will be normal because an overheating engine won't cause the warning message to appear.

Ok I had the coolant sensor changed but it's still saying coolant sensor bad so should I get a new cooling fan maybe the clutch is weakling causing a false reading?

James waring
There's a problem in the sensor circuit, not necessarily with the sensor itself. If we're still talking about the gauge reading that high, the engine is not really overheating. Unplug the sensor, then measure the voltage on the wire with the ignition switch in the "run" position. See what the gauge reads. Next, use a jumper wire to ground that wire, then see what the gauge reads.