TORQUE CONVERTER OR TRANNY?

1997 Honda Accord • 2.2L 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 203,000 miles

Unfortunately, I've had three tyranny's go out on me & this was similar but also way different. As I pulled out onto a main street, gunning it so I could beat the wall of traffic coming towards me, my car lost all of its momentum, as soon as I was blocking both lanes of on-coming traffic, & came to a stop. Before it stopped, I heard the sound of rocks in a disposal. While cringing, hoping all the cars coming my way didn't hit me, I began trying every other gear (1st, 2nd D2 & even reverse) yet not a single one would make the car budge. I needed to get out and get help so I tried to put it in park, but even that wouldn't work. It was similar to when you try to put a manual car in a gear without pressing the clutch. I ended up putting it in Neutral and using the E brake. So, does it sound like my entire tranny is gone or what would you guess I need to do to fix it?
Shannonk72

Okay. Have you checked to make sure axles are still in place and tight (not spinning on splines)? Is the trans fluid clean and full? Were you able to shift to park but it didn't hold?

I haven't checked the axles yet. I asked a shop to service my tranny about 20 days before this happened & I guess they decided to replace the driver side CV axle seal and the gaskets on the engine. I dont really know why though, b/c all I had told them was it was slipping in 2nd gear. Anyhow, after the most recent break down, there wasnt tranny fluid spilled out onto the street, and the next morning when I (correctly) checked the dipstick, it was COMPLETELY dry.
As for putting it in park.I was not able to get it into park at all while it was running, but I could get it into park by putting it in neutral then turning it off and then putting it in park.

Shannonk72
Once you got it into park, were you able to move the vehicle like it was in neutral? Also, the dry trans isn't good. If there are no leaks, then it wasn't properly filled.

I suggested that its having no fluid in it was perhaps the fault of the shop that replaced the driver side cv axle seals (given I asked them to service the transmission, I assumed they would have checked that before giving it back to me) but they said if they had, it would've just been as a courtesy to me.

Anyhow, when I got help pushing it out of the way of traffic, after finding it wouldnt go into park, we put it in neutral to push it, so im not sure if it would move in park. I put it into park once it was in a good place and had already turned off the car. I can check it tomorrow though.

Shannonk72
Wow! I can't believe they wouldn't check it just to make sure it was full. The seal was replaced because it was leaking, right?