TRANSMISSION

1997 Ford Taurus • 197 miles

Recently, while driving my ford Taurus, it lost power. After safely getting it off the road, it would start but would not shift into any gear. It is at a mechanic now awaiting a knowledgeable transmission mechanic who will look at it. I would like to know if I will possibly need a new/rebuilt transmission. Need to know if it would be worth spending the money on getting it fixed.
Sissbtn

Does the shifter go into gear and the vehicle will not go forward or is the shifter stuck?
If it goes into gear and no forward movement made then it's a good bet the transmission is gone. Typically it is better (if your going to replace the transmission) have transmission completely replaced with a new or on already rebuilt. Because you don't know the mechanic's background even if they say they are experienced. Both the labor and the transmission are going to be expensive so shop around and get quotes. This vehicle has a lot of miles on it so it maybe be cost effective to replace the car or repair just find out how much it is going to cost to make a good decision. Hope this answers you question, TY

Ty Anderson
It does shift Into gear but will not move. Thank you for your prompt reply

Sissbtn
It looks like the transmission is bad, recommend getting it properly diagnosed

Ty Anderson