IDLER PULLEY

1997 Ford Taurus • V8 FWD Automatic • 169,000 miles

I noticed a different noise to my engine when I started it about 3 days ago so I finally popped hood the sound is coming from the idler pulley area higher rpm the higher pitched the sound is im guessing its that cause I havent noticed any difference in engine performance what do guys think?
Kevinloken

We aren't there to hear it so it's up to you. Remove the belt and spin the pulley by hand to verify the bad pulley.

Wrenchtech
I dont knowwhat pulley is which on this 3.4 yamaha engine which one would be the harmonic balancer?The noise is coming from the top one near front of car and when I was driving about 45 kph I could really hear the noise almost like a whine?

Kevinloken
Thanks again it ended up being both idler pulleys

Kevinloken
You're welcome

Wrenchtech
So I figured out its number 2 and 8 on diagram u gave me so both idler pulleys r done but heres the problem is I order 2 through parts store and the new ones r only 3 inchs in diameter and the stock oem one is almost 3.5 inchs so I took them back to store and the guy told me I might have to go through ford to get the right sized ones but I have been looking everywhere and cant find any bigger then 3 inchs plz help?

Kevinloken
Have you tried Ford yet?

Wrenchtech
Im gonna call today and see what they say cause even on ebay u can only get 3 inch ones

Kevinloken
Would it hurt engine to have smaller pulley on it? Cause all parts stores only have the one size pulley for 97 ford taurus sho 3.4 v8

Kevinloken
So, what did Ford say? The smaller pulley won't hurt anything but it may require you to get a shorter belt.

Wrenchtech
So I finally found a scrap yard that had a sho so I fixed pulley I hit a pot hole the other day and the plastic piece at top of strut is broke I hit a tiny bump and all I hear is clunk its so annoying I thinks its called strut mount not sure

Kevinloken