HOW TO SET THE DISTRIBUTOR FOR RIGHT SPARK TIMING?

1997 Ford Probe • 130,000 miles

I have changed the headgasket on my ford probe 1997 4cyl 2.0 with 135000 Miles -Manual transmission. Everything checked and is ok; cranks but doesn't start! There's fuel thrown by injectors, there's a spark, good compression but when crancking I got only the 3rd Cyl getting slightly warmed. Which mean that sparks at the wrong time and the ignition wires are correctly pluged to their orders.
while I was changing the headgasket and when removed the distibutor I do remember that I turned its sprocket a few turns to inspect the smoothness and I wonder if this could be the reason, if yes how to set it to the right timing position? Please help !
Mbarizia

Removal

1. Remove high tension leads and distributor cap. Rotate crankshaft in direction of normal rotation until piston No. 1 is at TDC of compression stroke. Disconnect negative battery cable.

2. Ensure timing marks are aligned. Disconnect distributor wiring from harness. Mark distributor rotor-to-housing and housing-to
-engine position for installation reference. Remove distributor hold-down bolt(s) and clamp. Remove distributor. Inspect distributor "O" ring and replace if necessary.

Installation

1. Ensure engine is at TDC of compression stroke. Rotate distributor rotor so reference marks nearly align. Insert distributor drive into engine.

2. When installing distributor, rotor will rotate. Ensure reference marks are aligned when distributor is fully engaged in engine. To complete installation, reverse removal procedure. Set base ignition timing.

Worked like a charm : P Thank you !

Mbarizia
You're welcome.

Have a nice day.