WONT START, NO CRANK, HAPPENS RANDOMLY

1997 Ford Mustang • 78,000 miles

Bought car 2 months ago. After 2 weeks, wouldnt start after driving awile. Started after 5 or so minutes. Week later, same thing, except 2 hours of sitting. Replaced starter/solenoid and new positive battery cable to starter. Great for a week, then same thing. Full battery power, turn key, hear fuel pump, nothing. No click or nothing from starter. All accesories work, full power to everything.
Techmastersean

Do you have a multimeter or test light to do some testing?

Techmastersean
Forgot to ask is it a manual or automatic transmission?

Automatic

Techmastersean
Before we go thru a whole of checking when it wont start is the security light on or flashing?

Followup. Changed out the ignition switch box. Nothing. Knew positive cable good, so the small wire into solenoid(figuring it the signal to start wire), jumped it and car started. Drove it home to my garage. Turned off. Restarted 4 staight times. All inside and outside ignition fuses good. Can feel clicking in fuse box when turn key. So whats left after fusebox to signal starter? And since its doing this off and on, assuming a short?

Techmastersean
So you changed the ignition switch?To me it sounds like something gets hot while it runs then fails when you go to start it till it cools down. Iam thinking maybe the neutral safety switch since that gets hot.

No on theft light.

Techmastersean
Usually does it when hot. But yesterday, car had been sitting for 5 hours, no start. Sat all night, no start next morning. Basically had 18 hours of sitting this time.

Techmastersean
So did you change the ignition switch you said?Also does it start now?

Page 1 of 2