ELECTRONIC FAILURE

1997 Ford F-150 • 180,000 miles

There is a click, click, click sound that I hear from time to time. The windsheild was replaced I was told that water may be leaking on the GEM module causing my problem. Any thoughts on the clicking that may be draining the battery. All sorts of strange things happen when it rains. Lights blink truck stalls out windows don't work. On and on. How hard is it to replace the GEM?
Chuckobar

Windshield leaks are indeed very common and the water does drip onto the GEM module. That module controls a lot of stuff that used to work fine without a computer. It may help to search under the dash while a helper runs water around the windshield from a garden hose.

Since this is so common, some people believe it's not due to the windshield sealant, but rather due to a gap in one of the pinch welds. The solution may be to relocate the module or to cover it with a plastic bag. Replacing it won't be a permanent fix if water continues to get into it.