SHACKES AND STALLS IN REVERSE AND DRIVE

1997 Ford Explorer • 130,000 miles

Took my daughter to school it was runing fine came home went out 20 minutes later hard time getting it to start when it started I smelled gas and then when I put it in reverse it shook and stalled I had the fuel filter changed but still shakes in reverse and drive and stalls and I have a hard time starting it
Bonniejkulp

It could be a few things. First, if the check engine light has come on, have the computer scanned for trouble codes. Most parts stores will do it for free. That will identify where the problem is coming from. If there is no light, check for vacuum leaks on the engine, and it would be a good idea to make sure the fuel pressure is within the manufacturer's specs. You may have a weak pump or a bad regulator. That could explaine the fuel smell you noticed. If you need directions, go to our homepage under the DIY section. There are detailed instructions and a video to help.

Thanks, I am afraid to drive it to a shop because of it stalling the check engine light is on the motor shakes bad in reverse and drive I dont want to do more damage driving it. It seems to be a little better with the new fuel fitter but not much it will run in park and nuetral with out stalling. Do the fuel pumps usauly go bad on a ford explorer. I did notice the one time I started it that a little bit of smoke was coming from ware the air intake is attached to the motor im not a mechanic so if I sound stupid please for give me.

Bonniejkulp
You're not stupid. Explaine everything to me. It helps. Fuel pumps go bad on everything. The smoke almost leads me to believe you have an intake leak (vacuum leak). That could cause the problem too.

Ok I went out had someone turn the key I can hear the fuel pump come on I noticed when I put the car in reverse the rpm drops I have been having trouble with fuses someone told my that there is a fuse on the regulator, I dont know what fuse that is I kind of thinking by what I have been looking up it could be the regulator because it seems there not enough air pressure maybe? I dont know do you have anthing on the fuse diagram and ware would the regulator be located? Thank for all your help. Im a single mom on a set pay so all the help I can get is great.

Bonniejkulp
No fuse on the regulator. We need to have the computer scanned. Do this. If there are any nationally recognized parts stores like auto zone, advance. Near you, call and see if they will lend you a scanner. Most will charge you for the tool and return your money when you return it.

Ok I got the car scaned for code it turns out it was the coil pack. But an hour after I replaced the coil pack the check engine light came back on the car is running good any ideas why the check engine light would come back on do you think maybe a sensor is bad? Or could I have a vacum leak that could have made the coil pack go?

Bonniejkulp
If it is running good, that is one good thing. Have the computer rescanned to see what the new code is and we'll go from there.

Ok had the car scaned again the code coming up the guy said was just saying the car was runing lean. What could that be? Could it be a censor?

Bonniejkulp