TRANSMISSION FILTER GASKET

1997 Dodge Ram • V8 FWD •

Hi. Is there supposed to be a gasket or o-ring between the filter and the valve body of the transmission? I changed the filter and I didn't notice one when I removed the old one. And I hear rumors of a gasket for the filter also, not just the pan.

Thanks,
Thomas
Tomshanty

No gasket for either one. You may find a pan gasket provided by some aftermarket suppliers but originally they were sealed with silicone gasket sealer. Chrysler has two types of sealants. The black stuff stays more rubbery but absolutely will not bond or seal if there is any hint or trace of transmission fluid on the surfaces. The gray stuff gets a little harder but will seal through a little oil residue.

A PO740 led me to believe that there might be an internal leak and the filter was the only source that I could think of because I recently changed it. From a Chilton Diagnostic book, they list 4 possible causes for this particular vehicle: Internal transmission component fault (Input or Reaction shaft)
Internal transmission leakage (valve body leaking or seal rings)
Converter clutch valve or clutch timing valve is sticking
TCC assembly has failed

Haynes refers to the part that the filter attaches to as the valve body so I was hoping for the second item listed above. But I think the symptoms have improved.

Today I disconnected the battery and reconnected it. I then checked to make sure the transmission fluid was at its proper level. I had to add about a half pint. Took it for a test drive. 2500 RPM at 60 MPH. The tachometer was steady. Before today, I could feel the transmission changing gears while I was going a steady speed. The tach reading was also changing.

Could my problem be fixed? Is 2500 rpm normal?

Thanks again.

Thomas

Tomshanty
Not sure if anything is fixed, but what you were likely feeling was the lockup torque converter kicking out. You can duplicate it by holding the gas pedal perfectly steady at highway speed, then quickly tapping the brake pedal. The torque converter will unlock, then relock about two seconds later. Engine speed will go up about 200 rpm. It may feel like a shift, but it is much less forceful than the typical 3-4 or 4-3 shift.

The converter will also unlock if you let off the gas pedal or push it down a bunch. The same thing can happen if there is a momentary dropout in the throttle position sensor's reading, although that seems to be more of an issue with the diesel engines.