FRONT END GRINDING NOISE

1997 Dodge Ram • 5 cylinder 4WD Manual •

1997 Dodge Ram making a grinding noise in the front end gear when I hit a bump. I can shift into 4X4 wheel drive and back and it stops until the next bump. I have already changed the ball joints, wheel bearing, and axle joints. Any help would be great. Thinking it may be inside the differential, is there a place to get info on how to take it apart or do you have another idea. Thanks again.
Vevelynb

I'm having the exact same problem, I suspect it is the central axle disconnect causing the problem. This could be due to the vacuum valve on the transfer case, vacuum actuator, or a mechanical problem with the CAD shift fork or spline sleeve.

Donbrown1
*** Update ***
I finally got everything disassembled for inspection. The alignment bushing for the intermediate and outer axle in the CAD box had worn about 1/16 inch in diameter to.690". This allowed the outer axle to "whip" around on the intermediate axle stub which was causing vibration and the grinding noise. The vibration was so bad that it destroyed the outer axle seal too. I replaced the seal and upgraded the cheap nylon factory bushing to an oilite bronze flange bushing. The dimensions are 13/16" OD X 5/8" ID X 3/4" long.

Donbrown1
I saw the tsb on this as well.