DODGE DAKOTA AXLE PROBLEM

1997 Dodge Dakota • 14,200 miles

97 dakota 5.2 v8 4x4 - trans problem

Well here is whats going on, put in Drive takes off slow feeling like its in a high gear, no power.

If I put it manually in first it takes off strong like it should.

Seems not to shift into second manually, feels like still in first.

reverse operates fine.

does not kicked down when slowing and does not kicked down for passing.

Time for a new trans?

has correct fluid level and TV cable is dead on, HELP!

thanks for your time.
Lifted

I rarely recommend a "mechanic in a can", but this is one time you might try a chemical additive that claims to dissolve varnish buildup on the valves. After many years of never hitting wide-open-throttle, I had a similar problem when I DID go wide open for a few seconds. Varnish had built up in the valve bores where the throttle valve hadn't been in a long time. I needed to manually shift to first gear when slowing down, and up-shifts occurred way too late. This was on my '88 Grand Caravan daily driver. There's 240,000 miles on that transmission and the filter and fluid have only been replaced once, a long time ago. As with everything else on that uncommonly reliable van, I ignored the problem and it eventually cleared up on its own. I drag a tandem axle enclosed trailer that's bigger than the van, and have not had a problem since that cleared up about 8 years ago, but I'm still hesitant to go wide-open-throttle again.