MLKY OIL

1997 Chevrolet Master Deluxe • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 145,028 miles

I have a 1997 Chevrolet Malibu 3.1 liter (6 cylinder). I live in Saint Louis, MO and temperatures have been below average and we have experienced more snow than usual. 4 days ago the fan for the heater stopped working. 2 days ago I got stuck in the snow, after I got the car on the road the check engine light came on. I checked the coolant level because the temperature gauge was higher than normal, I added coolant ( I had never had any leaks of any kind before). I went to Auto Zone to have them check the code for "check engine" light, when I returned to the car with the associate the check engine light was no longer on, however he plugged in the device to check codes and he said that the results showed the I had multiple miss fires.

I drove approximately 3 miles to Jiffy Lube to have them check the fluids, because I had the oil changed 3 weeks ago. When I pulled onto the lot there was a warning beep and the temperature gauge shot up, as far as it would go. I pulled the car into the bay, when the hood was opened, there was steam coming from the side of the engine, I also noticed that there was antifreeze leaking in into the pit below. Coolant was added and it never got full, so I had to pull it out of the bay, but it would not start. The car was pushed out of the bay and 5 minutes later the car started. There was a puff of blue smoke from the exhaust pipe. The smoke started and I drove about 3 blocks to a friends home, to park the car on his parking pad.

When I lifted the hood, there was no steam. I checked the oil to see if there was any problem with it and the fluid on the stick was higher than it should be and the oil was a brown milky color. Do you think I cracked the block or could it be as simple as a head gasket? What are your thoughts?

Thank you in advance for a prompt response.
Trenrev1

Ok, about 93% of the time in my experience it has been a blown head gasket. It usually all depends on how hot the engine got when it overheated and how far it was driven after overheated.

.

Obxautomedic
Thank you, that has been very helpful. My vehicle was only driven approzimately on-half mile after the engine cooled. I received a warning indicator and a warning light and when that occured the engine was turned off within 5 minutes.

Trenrev1
No problem keep me posted.

Obxautomedic
Thank you again for your help. Do you have another e-mail address where I could reach you?

Trenrev1
Sent you msg through forum mail.

Obxautomedic