WHY WOULD THE SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT BE BLINKING ON AND OFF AND ENGINE RUNNING ROUGH AND ERRATIC IN MY CHEVY ?

1997 Chevrolet Lumina • 161,000 miles

1. The service engine soon light blinks on and off. This is not normal for my vehicle. When the light came on a couple times in the past it has always stayed on.

2. The engine runs rough and surges.

3. Headlights dim and brighten

4.I put washer fluid in, Coolant, and checked the oil, transmission, and power steering fluid This morning.
Giacoyle

Run a scan and check for any unresolved fault codes and check the alternator out put make sure the reading is around 13.5 -14 V there abouts.

Mhpautos
Do u think it's a good idea to drive it?

Giacoyle
Only to get the tests done, as if over charging you can do damage to sensitive equipment.

Mhpautos
If the check engine light is flashing it means a major emmisions componant is suffering. Make sure the alternator and battery is good, but most signs are its a major misfire causing the engine to run lean or rich: )

Wolfenpixels