CHEVROLET LUMINA BRAKE CALIPER PROBLEM

1997 Chevrolet Lumina • 176,000 miles

Left front wheel make a noise when backing up when I step on the brake, do the brake caliper suppose to be loose? The brake pads are not worn out.
Joe1953

The brake caliper should be tight.

The brake caliper is not tight and the two bolts is tight, what I have to do to make the brake caliper tight.

Joe1953
The bolts are what tighten it. Remove it and check to make sure the bolts aren't stripped part of the way and not allowing the bolt to tighten.

Go to this link and you will watch a video on how to replace brake pads. You will see what needs tightened.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-front-brake-pads-and-rotors-fwd

I screw the two bolts out they don't look like they are stripped, I don't see what need to be tightened, do the brake pads help to keep the caliper tight.

Joe1953
No. What part of the caliper is loose? When you tighten the bolts, does the mounted part of the caliper get tight?

After I tighten the bolts I can move the caliper like from side to side just a little.

Joe1953
The center of the caliper is on a slide and has to move. However, the part that is bolted should be secure.

The only thing I can see that the caliper slide on is the two bolts I believe the caliper is what makeing the noise when I step on the brake it don't make the noise until I back up and step on the brake, what could be worn out, I need to know what to buy I thank you for helping me for trying to find the problems.

Joe1953
That is correct. It should slide on those bolts. However, the caliper piston should remain extended so there isn't play between the rotor and the brake pads. Thus, nothing should really be "Loose"

Can you upload a pic for me to see what is loose?

I will try to see what I can do.

Joe1953