CHEVROLET CAVALIER ABS PROBLEM

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier • 129,000 miles

About three weeks ago the ETS OFF light illuminated on the dashboard as did the Check Engine Light. Then a few hours later the ABS light came on. I read in the manual that came with the car and it said to turn the car off and the ABS light should go out. The ABS light coming on may be just a coincidence but I included the info, just in case it was relevant. I turned the car off and then back on and the ABS light went out and has not come on since. However, the ETS and Check Engine lights remained on. The ETS light is supposed to indicate a possible problem with the Enhanced Traction System, according to the same manual. There didn't seem to be a problem driving the car or with the brakes. So at my mechanic's suggestion, I disconnected both battery cables and let it sit overnight. When I reconnected the battery and started the car both the ETS light and the Check Engine light were off and stayed off until today.

I was sitting, stopped in traffic and both lights came on again. This is not something I can pop into the dealership and ask about because I don't believe there is a Chevy dealer here in Costa Rica. And if there was it would be about a four drive away. There are not very many Chevys here. In fact, when I brought my car here in 2010, it was the only Chevy Cavalier LS in the country.

Do you have any ideas as to what would cause the lights to come on and what I can do to fix the problem? And will it hurt to drive it with those lights on? I have to have this fixed before the annual inspection because they won't pass the car with the Check Engine light on. But that is still 5 or 6 months away. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Carole
Morlaine