GETTING LOUD GRINDING NOISE WHEN STARTER IS ENGAGED

1997 Chevrolet Blazer • 170,000 miles

1997 blazer 4x4 had bad starter changed it and it still wont start the alternator is good and battery when I try to turn it over it tries to start but it is making a grinding sound. Could it be I put the crank shaft in wrong
Marcus_692

The engine isn't turning over when you turn the key to 'Start'? What about the starter solenoid? Is the main power wire in good shape and tight? Is the face of the block/tranny bellhousing or starter oily?

Rivermikerat
It is turning over when I turn the key it has a hard grinding noise. I keep trying the noise goes away and all I hear is the starter the starter is good I had it tested. The power wire and the egnition wire is good condition and tight. Under the truck it is real oily.

Marcus_692
The noise may well be the starter Bendix not engaging into the teeth on the flex plate / flywheel, if these teeth are damaged the transmission will have to come out to replace it, pull the starter and check all the teeth on the flex plate / flywheel first.

Mhpautos