IGNITION ISSUE

1997 Acura RL • 147,000 miles

Turn the key and dashboard lights dont light. Jiggle the key about 100 times and wait for the moment it stays in the right position and the dash lights light then turn the key to start the car. Key seems a little hard to turn back when turning car off. Really need to have the touch to get the ignition it the just right position to start the car. I can stsrt the car and hold the key in just the right spot an drive that way as long I have someone with me to shift the car from park to drive...
Help please as my mechanic believes its the ignition switch a part that costs $750 to 900 dollars I do see some used ignition switches online much cheaper but how do I know if it is the correct part?
Can a locksmith repair the the ignition switsch if I have it removed as my mechanics thinks there is a spring no working correctly to hold the key in the correct position to start the car?
ROBNLOIS

Sounds more like the ignition switch cylinder lock problem-

I agree with Raz, that lock cylinder is pricey. The cheapest I saw was around 238 dollars not including tax. I don't know about a used switch? How do you know it will even work and for how long?

Where did you see it for $238.00?
And what is the part number I want to be sure to get the correct part?

ROBNLOIS
Not the lock, just the ignition switch electrical portion. It should not be as expensive as that.

A close up of the part

KLHow2008
WHY DO YOU THINK IT IS THE IGNITION SWITCH AND NOT THE LOCK CYLINDER
THAT WOULD BE GREAT BUIT I JUST WANT TO BE SURE AND NOT BUY SOMETHING THAT IS NOT GOING TO SOLVE MY ISSUE
THANK YOU

ROBNLOIS
The parts I looked at are at rockauto. Com

The cheapest parts are usually not the best. The one khlow2008 pictured is far less, not oem. Around 20 bucks.

What is the part number on rockauto. Com for the part needed?

ROBNLOIS
Go to the site, it will ask for year--make--model, follow the links. CLick on electrical switches. Rockauto calls it, ignition starter switch. That is cheaper than the lock cylinder by far. At the moment, I can't tell you which part is faulty? Note the picture below.

The ignition lock does not affect the dash lights, unless it cannot be turned. The electricals are controlled by the switch which tends to fail over time and are a known issue for certain tear models.

You mentioned the key seems to be stiff at times and that could be due to either of the above parts and unless you wish to replace both, if not I would suggest with the electrical part first. Replacing the lock wuold mean changint the keys as well.

JDL is correct about OEM and non-OEM. The quality is different.