VOLKSWAGEN JETTA ENGINE PROBLEM

1996 Volkswagen Jetta • 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 140,000 miles

I have had a cylinder 3 misfire for the past couple of weeks. I have replace the ignition coil, and wires since then. And it keeps coming back on after a day or two. The car runs rough during cold starts and at times while driving it will seem as if the engine is choking of tripping up. What else could it be. The rpms seem to be regular everytime. Since I have had the coil and wires replaced recently it is running better. Im in minnesota, could it be cold weather or what? Please help
Coole041

Im sorry its actually for my ford explorer 2000 xlt ohv

Coole041
Scan for codes and check fuelpressure. Low fp will cause misfires.

Ok I thanks I will have them check that in the am. And I will follow up with you. And are they anymore suggestions? You guys are great and always dead on.

Coole041
I think with what you have done will find the problem if it stil misfires with everything ok then check compression fuel pressure should be 55-65 psi with key on engine off if lower that may be your problem. Cold also be egr partially plugged.

EGR?

Coole041
Exaust gas recirculation valve.