FRONT SUSPENSION

1996 Toyota Corolla • 480,000 miles

The bottom end of the bolt of the lower ball joint on the left front wheel has started to scrape on the inside of the mag rim when turning to the right. We've had the car since 1997 with same wheels and type of tires. It never did this and nothing has changed e.G. No bumps, accidents etc. That could disturb, bend or damage anything. It is so bad that if you turn to the right the wheel is grabbing badly especially if it moves up or down on an uneven surface while turning. The rim is also being damaged where it scrapes. It does nothing if you turn to the left. When the car is stationary you can clearly see that the distance between the rim and the bottom of the swing arm? With the lower ball joint on the left front side of the car is closer to the rim than on the right hand side. Could it be a ball joint? And which on lower or upper? I would like to fix the problem myself. Any suggestions/solution would be appreciated.
Peetvjaarsveld

Seems like a bad ball joint and you need to have it inspected/tested. Check the wheel bearing as well.

There are no upper ball joints.