TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

1996 Toyota Carina • 4 cylinder FWD Automatic • 140,000 miles

Hello all. I have a toyota carina ti 1.5L, 96 model. 5AFE engine with AT. From last 10 days, suddenly my gear is giving problem. I am shifting gear from parking to drive, it is taking like 2 seconds to response. After that, I am giving pickup, rev going up, but car is moving slowly. This problem is giving only in 1st gear, after shifting, no problem at all. ATF is perfectly alright, both in quantity & quality. This problem is giving in both heated & cold state. But if I give some several pickups before driving, the problem reduce that time. What u guys thinking, problem with the valve body & oil pump? Please advice me, getting tensed.
Shams

It sounds like a pressure issue. That would need checked first. If the check engine light has come on, have the computer scanned for trouble codes. There may be one for the transmission that will identify where the problem is coming from.