LE DIAGNOSTIC CODE P1300

1996 Toyota Camry • 120,000 miles

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4 cyl 2.2L Automatic 120000 miles

Car was running good 5 days ago. Then fail to start one morning. It cranks but doesn't start engine. Called a mobile mechanic, he asked to change the battery. Changed the battery with brand new one. Then took start and stopped! After diagnostic he showed me a code P1300 and said ignition problem. First he said, the wire connecting the igniter/ignition coil is bad. Then changed the whole ignition wire set with NGK wire set. It did not start. Then changed the distributor cap. Did not start. He checked the ignition coil and igniter. It sparks once engine is switched on with key but does not continue. He suggested that the CAM sensor may be gone but can't say surely. Please suggest me how can I repair.
Thanks,
Karim
Reza092

The code indicates either an open/short circuit between igniter and ECM, a faulty igniter or ECM.

Thanks for reply. How can I check those and ways to repair? Please give me some light of hope.

Reza092
Diagnosis & Repair

1. Check for spark at misfiring cylinder. If spark is present, go to next step. If spark is not present, go to step 4.

2. Check for open or short in IGF circuit between ECM and igniter. Igniter is located near left shock tower. Repair as necessary. If circuit is okay, go to next step.

3. Disconnect Black 5-pin igniter connector. Access ECM behind glove box. Turn ignition on. Measure voltage between ground and terminal No. 3 White/Red wire) at ECM "E11" connector. See Fig. 3. If voltage is 4.5-5.5 volts, replace igniter. If voltage is not 4.5-5.5 volts, replace ECM and retest.

4. Check for open or short in IGT circuit (White wire) between ECM and igniter. Repair as necessary. If circuit is okay, go to next step.

5. Access ECM behind glove box. Locate ECM "E11" connector. Backprobing ECM connector, measure voltage between ground and terminal No. 20 (White wire) at ECM "E11" connector while cranking engine. If voltage is.1-4.5 volts, go to next step. If voltage is not.1-4.5 volts, replace ECM and retest.

6. Disconnect Black 5-pin igniter connector. Backprobing ECM connector, measure voltage between ground and terminal No. 20 (White wire) at ECM "E11" connector while cranking engine. If voltage is.1-4.5 volts, go to next step. If voltage is not.1-4.5 volts, replace ECM and retest.

7. Turn ignition on. Measure voltage between ground and terminal No. 3 (White/Red wire) at igniter wiring harness connector. If voltage is 9-14 volts, go to next step. If voltage is not 9-14 volts, check and repair igniter power source circuit.

8. Check for an open or short in wiring harness between ignition switch and
ignition coil, and between ignition coil and igniter. Repair as necessary. If wiring
is okay, go to next step.

9. Check ignition coil. Replace coil as necessary. If coil is okay, replace igniter.

I appreciate. Thanks a lot! I'll check according to the process and let you know.
Thanks.

Reza092
You're welcome.