CRANK SHAFT SEAL

1996 Toyota Camry • 2.2L 4 cylinder FWD Automatic • 353,000 miles

I have a Toyota camry 1996 and I have oil leaking in the front crankshaft seal im just wondering that do I have to take the timing belt off to get to the crank shaft seal and how to keep the cam shaft from moving when I change it cause I don't want to get it off timing for the valves purpose
Dave2984

The seal is behind the crankshaft gear set the timing marks up before you remove the belt amd the cam should stay in place. Also make sure the timing marks are all lined before putting the belt back on.

Ok is there any chance in bending the valves when doing this work

Dave2984
There is always a chance of that with a interference fit engine. Once the belt is off you can turn the crank gear 60 degrees past the timing mark to move the pistons away from the the valves. Just make sure you move it back just before you put the belt back on.

Ok thanks one last question could I use an oil sealant and would it work and for how long?

Dave2984
I would never use one they usually dont work and I dont like putting them in the oil.