OUTBACK

1996 Subaru Legacy • 4 cylinder 4WD Manual • 210,767 miles

I have a 1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon (w/nearly 211, 00 miles) that I purchased a couple of months ago. It runs great, however the problem I have been having are intermittent starts, mainly after it has been driven on warm days. After from 3 to 12 cranks, it will eventually start. Except this AM, it did not want to start for first time in the AM when cold. When I got home this PM, it started after a couple of cranks!
I recently took it in and mechanic installed fuel filter and it was fine for one day and then started to do it again. It has never left me stranded, but after the episode in AM, I am concerned that it might.
Any ideas.
Thank you
RFC
Cuartelejo

What I would start with is checking fuel pump pressure and pressure drop off. My first thought is that the pressure is dropping and taking time to get to the engine. Under the "Do it Yourself" site on our home page, you will find directions to check fuel pump pressure, the pressure regulator, and drop off. Do that and let me know what you find. Also, pay special attention to drop off. That is when you turn the key off. The system should maintain pressure for some time. If it drops off quickly, there is a leak somewhere causing the hard start. You will need a fuel pressure gauge. Many parts stores will one to you.

Let me know what you find or if you have other questions.