OBDII SCANNER

1996 Subaru Legacy • 107,000 miles

I have purchased an elm 327 scanner to try and help diagnose my problem with the engine not starting but I soon found out that with this being a 96 model it did not have the standard interface so I bought an adapter lead to connect the 15 pin scanner lead to the nine pin subaru connection but I have not been able to access the trouble codes it keeps saying unable to connect with ecu my question is do I have to connect any other wires because as well as the yellow nine pin subaru connection there are two green block wires and two black block wire connections (see attached photo)I could really use some advice on this because I need to get this car running ASAP and I cant afford a hefty garage bill !

Jjmechman

First of all, look for the obd 2 connector as they have them after 95. It is there, you just have to find it.
Second, a code never identifies a bad part, just a failed system. You will still need a shop unless you guess and throw parts at it that may or may not work.

This car does not have an OBDII scanner port I have looked everywhere and the location were it is shown in manuals down by the bonnett realease lever hasnt even been cut out at the factory to provide the cover over the socket it is still one piece so I ask again do I need to connect any of the other wires in the picture to get the scanner to work?

Jjmechman
Yes, but you need a scan tool that a shop has, not any of the code readers. I would get a shop to read the codes for you and get back to us with the number so we can further help you