SATURN SL2 BUMP PROBLEM

1996 Saturn SL2 • 196,000 miles

My drivers side high-beam does not work. There is a red wire and an orange wire that go to the bulb. If I connect a jumper wire to the Red wire and to chassis Ground, the bulb will light up. How do I fix this?
Aaron_potter

There is a break in continuity in the red wire between the bulb and the switch. You would need to trace this wire back to the light switch to find the break in continuity.

I was hoping you knew of a common place to start. Sounds like I'll be neck deep in a nest of wires and late for supper.

I have an idea. What if I jumper from the red wire on the passenger side to the red wire on the drivers side? Will it overload the circuit and blow fuses?

Aaron_potter
Both headlights uses the same fuse and in fact the wires are spliced together and seems somewhere in between this connections is broken.

What you are suggesting is ok.

Great. It worked. Thanks!

Aaron_potter
You're welcome.

Easy fix check for power with a voltmeter at the bulb first when you switch the high beams on if you're getting power to the connector is to bed bulb. The bulb has two elements inside when the low beams are on it works one filament and the high beams are on it works off the other filament. Always check your voltages first before you start thinking you're in the big mess. Good luck I hope this helps.

Cadieman
Easy fix check for power with a voltmeter at the bulb first when you switch the high beams on if you're getting power to the connector it is is a bad bulb. The bulb has two elements inside when the low beams are on it works one filament and the high beams are on it works off the other filament. Always check your voltages first before you start thinking you're in the big mess. Good luck I hope this helps. Where did River rat go and he is slotted to answer this question? I wonder

Cadieman
Thanks cadieman, KHLow2008 helped me out already. And to be sure, the bulb only has one element. It is a Saturn 1996 SL2. The high beam bulbs are more towards the center of the bumper and the low beam bulbs are towards the ends of the bumper making a total of 4 single element bulbs. In my very first conversation I put the voltage issue to rest by explaining that the bulb will light up when grounded. I don't mean to offend, but none of the information you offered was useful or relevant to my situation. Thank you for looking at the problem though, and I have no idea who River rat is or where he is.

Aaron_potter
Np

Cadieman