GM 3.4 L WON'T START

1996 Pontiac Transport • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 197,000 miles

1996 Pontiac Transport 3.4 engine w/197000 mi turns over but won't start. This was an intermittent problem but now I can't get it to start at all. I smell gas after turning it over for a 10-15 seconds so it's a spark issue?
Any ideas where I should begin my quest?

Thank you

Steve west

I'm getting spark from the three spark plugs at the front, the one's at the firewall are really hard to get to, but I don't hear any combustion at at all or smell any exhaust.
So now I should be thinking fuel supply.
Does anybody have any words of wisdom? I checked all the fuses.

Steve west
http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs,coil's resistances,cap and rotor,distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

If both fuel and spark is present-check the valve and ignition timing, this will lead you to problems
with compression and valves opening and closing at the wrong time/broken or jumped timing
belt/chain.