LEAKING ANTIFREEZE

1996 Pontiac Grand Am • 120,000 miles

The weather has been hot lately. While driving the engine got hot and all the antifreeze blew out and steam blew out of the upper defroster vent. Can't see where the antifreeze coming from because everything is so jammed in there. It's leaking at the rear of the engine around the firewall. It has a 2.4L 4 cyl. Engine. My thoughts are either a heater hose or the heater core. Any thoughts.
Water

Yes, those are 2 possible things. You need to fill the system and pressure test it so you can see exactly where it's leaking from.

Wrenchtech
I didn't have to pressurize the system. I poured coolant in the reservoir and it leaked out of a rubber hose with bend in it attached to metal fitting on what appears to be attached to a heater core? There's a larger metal fitting attached to metal hose right next to it, both coming out of the firewall. Is there valve or something in that smaller fitting? The fluid just flows out of that hose. Thoughts.

Brad

Water
That's the drain for the AC condensation. You have a heater core leaking.

Wrenchtech
Thanks. I'm guessing the heater core has to replaced?

Brad

Water
Replaced or bypassed but you won't have any heat if you bypass.

Wrenchtech
Thanks for your advise. There was a large crack (split) in the plastic hose that connected to the outlet of the plastic bottom (factory OEM) heater core. The (aftermarket, metal with metal outlets) is installed and not leaking. The system appears to working fine. Thanks again for your help.

Brad

Water
You're welcome

Wrenchtech