BIG TIME WIRING ISSUE

1996 Pontiac Grand Am • 200,000 miles

Okay so this grand am had a new head gasket put on but has not ran since. I was told there is something wrong with the starter. I had it tested. Tests good. When I hook battery up the starter just starts engaging all on its own. I noticed that the back of the starter has 5 wires hooked into it. Not one of these is a purple wire. However, the purple wire next to the starter has what appears to be an inline fuse in it and there is no end of the wire, it just loops back into the black plastic wire covers. Then, tracing 3 of the wires from the starter they go into a relay mounted in front of the engine above radiator on passenger side. Doing some research it appears to be a fuel pump relay. Why on earth is the starter wired into a fuel pump relay and why is there no end to the purple wire in order to connect it to the starter? When battery is connected and starter begins spinning I noticed that if I tap on the relay it functions normally for a brief time. I am baffled here. There are 2 red wires 1 black and 1 purple in the relay. The 2 red and 1 black are connected to starter. The started also has the 12volt main and the alternator feed which seem in order. Thank you
Miles hubbard

Looks like someone has tried to jury rig it an djust totally screwed it up.I am assuming this is 2.4L here are pics of starting circuit and fuel pump relay with location and wire color. Gray goes to pump and green comes from pcm.