CAN OVERHEATING DAMAGE THE ENGINE SLEEVES?

1996 Nissan Maxima • 75,000 miles

Hello.
Can overheating damage the sleeves (cylinders) in any way? Particularly at the lower part?

I'm replacing the head gaskets after running without water and my mechanic, who's never worked on a Maxima before, told me that, after overheating, engines with sleeves instead of a bored block may have damages at the lower area where it's supposed to be sealed and not let water and oil mix.

Is this a real risk in Maxima Engines?
It's a 1996 3.0 24v V6.

I appreciate the help.
PeterKleine

Any time a vehicle is overheated and driven alot of screwy things can happen. Best thing here is to put it together and see if water goes into oil. We have no way of knowing how far/long engine was driven before shutting down. Normally sleeved engines are held in at the top not bottom. You'll find out quickly if there is any damage.

Thanks for replying hmac300. What you said makes perfect sense. The reason I'm asking this is because I live in Brazil and down here labor for this car is quite expensive. I drove it under this condition only once. I caught by surprise and had to keep going for lack of alternative and the car actually made it to my appointment. After it cooled down to normal running temperature I tried adding water and saw vapor coming out of the tail pipe (on a warm day). After that I never drove it again and sent it to the mechanic. The problem is the labor for taking it apart for the head gaskets job already cost $2000 and dismounting it further down just to check the possibility of its sleeves' lower rings being damaged would set me back another 2000. If he puts it back together with all the upper part done and it ends up mixing oil and water, all the previous labor of taking it apart and putting it back together will be wasted and the expense will be even higher.
So, I was hoping anyone could tell me the likelihood of this kind of damage happening to the lower part of the sleeves of this engine due to overheating because, unfortunately for me, otherwise it will be kind of a lottery deciding on whether to close it without checking.
Thanks again.

PeterKleine
I believe that these if sleeved are a dry sleeve engine, that is the sleeve is an interferance fit into the parent block and normally will not be damaged due to overheating, with that said, you must inspect the bore as any badly overheated engine and cause the piston to scruff the bore and cause damage, this is fairly visible as gouge marks on the piston and normally the lower part of the bore and should not be ignored.

Mhpautos
For 2000 why not just buy another car?

Fixitmr
@ fixitmr Because down here car prices are absolutely insane. A 1996 just like mine goes for 17k! A brand new one is 130K. And everything else in my car is perfect working condition, brakes, transmission, suspension, tires, body work, interior. Just like new.

PeterKleine
@ mhpautos Thanks for the reply. According to my mechanic, it's a wet sleeve engine. That's why the concern about the seals at the lower end.

PeterKleine
Thanks to all the help I got so far, I can rephrase my question, being more specific: - What is the chance of overheating damaging the lower seals of the the wet sleeves of a Nissan VQ30DE engine?

It's been driven without coolant and overheated but did not shut down. After turning it off and letting it cool down, I realized vapor would come out of the exhaust at normal running temp on a warm day, so I had the heads removed.

Thank you all.

PeterKleine
The seals are probably copper or some other soft metal(relative to cylinder). It's not like they are rubber or nylon or synthetic material that would be easily effected.

Fixitmr
I'm referring to a wet sleeve motor. Doubtful yours is like that. It is probably dry sleeve like mentioned above.

Fixitmr
The guys might be jackin you around for more bucks?

Fixitmr
Page 1 of 2