DOOR WILL NOT REMAIN LOCKED

1996 Nissan Maxima

My 96 maxima has a problem where I locks doors, either I push the lock button, use the key, or the remote to lock the doors, however the drivers side door doesn't seem to stay locked. Even though it seems like its locked and everything seems fine, anyone can go up to the drivers side and open the door and it will open. Could it be the door lock actuator that doesn't allow the door to remain locked? Please help me!
Andyc66

There's two possibilities. The lock part of the latch assembly could be broken so even though the manual knob and the linkages move, the lock isn't engaging. You'd have to replace the latch assembly for that. A linkage could also be disconnected. That would be more common on older cars where the lock motor was separate from the latch. On newer cars that motor is built into the latch. On those, if a linkage is disconnected, the manual knob won't work but the power lock would. '96 is about the time many manufacturers were switching over to latch assemblies with the lock motor built in. You'll have to pop the trim panel off to check if a linkage is disconnected or if the latch isn't working.