ENGINE SURGES

1996 Mitsubishi Mirage • 145,000 miles

Hi I own a 1996 mitsubishi mirage. It is tiptronic. The problem is that it surges quite badly whilst driving, I cannot even accelerate properly. I took it to a garage and paid hundreds of dollars. On the quote it says they did this. Tuneup, remove and cap and rotor to clean?

This is my first car, it ran fine when I first got it.
Have owned it for about 3 months. I don't tend to drive it in manual. It surges mostly whilst accelerating or going up a hill, not really when cruising along a straight.
Rianakate

Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

Hey, yes apparantly that was checked. Everyone I have asked is stumped on what it could be

Rianakate
I have to be honest, it sounds like a vacuum leak. Was it checked by a certified tech?

Okay I will look into that, I noticed today my car makes a whistling, squeeling sort of noise? Would that be related to the main problem?

Rianakate
It could be. Do me a favor. Check the belt. Make sure nothing is getting on it like coolant, oil. Something may be causing it to slip.