HOW TO REPLACE BUSHINGS OF LOOSE GEAR SHIFTER OF MERCEDES?

1996 Mercedes Benz E320 • 170,000 miles

The gear shifter is loose in all directions, and someone told me I need to replace two bushings. Can you tell me how to get to and replace these bushings (preferably with a diagram or picture to guide me)?

Thank you for any help you can provide to me.

dadala
Dadala

Console shifter or column shifter? Are the worn bushings on the transmission or the shifter? The bushings can usually be bought at Autozone or similar stores.
Column shifters are secured to the column with a split pin through the center that needs to be driven out to change the bushing. Floor shifters need the console to be removed; usually 4-6 screws or pins accomplishes this. Shifters can be secured to linkage with pins or nuts and bolts.

Rivermikerat
Dear rivermikerat,
Thank you very much for your advice. It is a floor shifter, so it seems that I'll need to figure out where those screws or pins are located. After that it would seem to be doable by me.
Thanks again,
dadala

Dadala
There will usually be one at the very back of the console and 2 or 3 on either side.

Rivermikerat
Dear rivermikerat,

Thank you for the additional info - I really appreciate your extra effort.

Dadala

Dadala
My pleasure.

Rivermikerat