LINCOLN TOWN CAR CLUTCH PROBLEM

1996 Lincoln Town Car • 187,000 miles

How can I Diagnose ac problem? Compressor will not engage. AC blows hot air. AC system has no leaks-is fully charged. I have been told everything from "Climate control switch" to a bad compressor. I am a senior citizen on a fixed income and can not afford to let people practice until they fix the problem. Please help.

IF IT WON'T "FIRE UP", HOW DO YOU KNOW IT'S FULLY CHARGED. STILL?

FUSES?

CONNECTIONS?

HAVE YOU "CHEATED" (JUST AS A TEST--ONLY FOR A FEW SECONDS) THE LOW PRESSURE SWITCH CONNECTION, JUST TO SEE IF IT WILL ENGAGE AND RUN?

IF THAT STUFF DID NOTHIN'

CAN YOU RUN A TEMPORARY JUMPER TO THE CLUTCH----TOUCH IT TO TO THE POSITIVE BATTERY POST---DOES IT ENGAGE?---NOTHIN' AGAIN. MAYBE THE CLUTCH IS BAD.

IF IT DOES RUN---EITHER THE LOW PRESSURE SWITCH IS BAD, OR THE SYSTEM IS LOW ON GAS

THAT'S A FEW POSSIBILITIES THAT MIGHT BE ELIMINATED. BEFORE YOU HANG YOUR HEAD AND TAKE IT TO A SHOP

'COURSE THERE ARE OTHER FACTORS THAT MAY PLAY IN-WIRING--RELAYS--SWITCHES--ETC

SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE LIMITED IN YOUR ABILITIES----I HOPE IT IS SOMETHING SIMPLE THAT I HAVE MENTIONED