AIR BAG LIGHT BLINKS 1 THEN 3

1996 Lincoln Mark VIII • 70,000 miles

I was wondering if you can help. My lincoln flashes 1 then 3. This occured after a small fresh water flood [irene], water only went as high as the rocker panels. I know it is a short to ground but where to look. I own a mechanical/ body shop as I have 30yrs experience. My question is truly what could be shorted to ground? Clockspring, safer sensor, front airbag sensors, or the module itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Lou
Lfortu

I believe the safing sensor is located in the air-bag module itself on that car. I also believe that the module is located behind the right front kick-panel (passenger's side). If it got flooded, it may be the module itself.

Dan_K
The air bag diagnostic monitor is to the right of the glove box behind the dash. It monitors and compares pins 11, GY/O, and 12, P/W with charging system voltage. If system voltage is >9 and voltage on on pin 11 or 12 is <2, the ABDM internal fuse will blow. The short to ground could be a wire, an airbag, clockspring or another component in the restraint system. After the short is repaired, you will need to replace the ABDM. Do not use a logic probe or test light to check the circuits. Depower the system before any testing. I recommend you take it to a Ford or Lincoln dealer.

Severedheads