LEXUS LS 400 SMOKE PROBLEM

1996 Lexus LS 400 • V8 • 121,800 miles

My 1996 LS 400(hwich I love) has developed a hesitation problem, along with white smoke after engine is warm. I have had a coomplete tune up, both catalytic converters replaced, oxygen sensor replaced, all plug wires replaced. There are no more codes on the car, but it is still hesitating and white smoke after engine is warm
Kclark35

Also had timing belt(with water pump) replaced also. All parts are BRAND NEW!

Kclark35
White smoke is generally an indication of burning coolant through the engine. It could be a bad head gasket or intake gasket problem.

Wrenchtech
Mechanic checked engine, it is perfect. The white smoke is burning of fuel

Kclark35
Oh really? That's interesting.

Wrenchtech
Exactly. Now you see why I am stumped

Kclark35
Yes, I certainly do

Wrenchtech
White smoke usually with a sweet smell should be coolant. Black or dark smoke with a raw fuel smell would be unburned fuel and gray should be oil. Has the cooling system been pressure tested with the plugs out to check for leakage into the cylinders?

89integrals
This is whats wrong! Im 99.9 percent positive! There is a switch on youre power steering unit, the vacuum hoses come off this switch and connect to your intake manifold. The switch is bad and the power steering fluid is being pumped up your vacuum hoses! To confirm this unhook your vacuum hoses to your intake manifold, put tape on your intake manifold tubes to stop the rough idle, secure youre hoses to something and see what happens! Its not your motor! Believe me! Have you had to add alot of PS fluid lately?

Jimbyrnes
Oh yea, it might take a few days for the fluid to be burned out from inside your cylinders, but it will, I had my fault meesage reader connected to mine (because I had the same issue), and I would get missfire messages.

Jimbyrnes