ISUZU NPR ALTERNATOR PROBLEM

1996 Isuzu NPR • 211,000 miles

Would someone please educate me on what the vacuum that's part of the alternator on subject truck? There's oil leaking from the bottom of the alternator which I have to assume is supplied (the oil) by the incoming line to the top of the vacuum. I think I read a thread on the web that said there is a hole on the bottom of the alternator for oil to drain in the event that a seal between the vacuum assembly/body and the alternator were to leak which would protect the alternator. I will note that I found the oil leaking from the alternator when my batteries were being pulled down so I'm thinking the alternator is bad regardless of the purpose for the drain holes. If it is a seal and the seal is replaced what are the chances of the alternator still being good given the fact that it's now not replenishing the charge back to the batteries? And please tell me what this vacuum thing is all about and what the purpose of oil to it is for.

Diesel engines do not produce manifold vacuum, vacuum is requited to operate the brake booster, so on diesels a separate vacuum pump is used, many Asian engines use a pump that is attached to the back of the alternator to supply vacuum to an accumulate (a vacuum storage tank) the oil supply is solely used to lubricate the vacuum pump, there will be a pressure hose from the main oil gallery and a drain back hose to the sump, a seal in the back of the pump keeps oil out of the alternator.

Mhpautos